Tips: How to Dye Synthetic Hair (Guide)
Synthetic hair extensions or wigs are available in different ranges from high to low prices. They also exist from dark to light colors. Hair extensions also are in dire need of extreme care. Caution is also here for maintenance as they easily get tangled.
The fibers also lose softness if not collected properly. If you currently have a synthetic wig and are confused about whether can you actually dye synthetic hair into some other color for an occasion, then keep reading.
Hair extensions and synthetic wigs play an important role in redefining your style. Sometimes you might need a different colored wig for an occasion, party, or get-together and planning to dye your hair, then here is all you must know to dye your synthetic hair.
What is meant by synthetic hair?
Synthetic hair is produced or manufactured using manmade fibers. Fine threads are created which are made from polymers. Then they are designed to look and feel as close to human hairs as possible. After this threads can be utilized to make a weave, wig, or hair extensions.
One major difference between human hair and a synthetic hair is that synthetic hair contains no keratin. While on the other hand, man-made polymers used in creating synthetic hair are often coupled with plastics. Different types of plastics are used in this process.
Can you actually dye the synthetic hair?
It is not highly recommended that you need to dye synthetic hair. And dye product is preferably affordable one that is available in different colors and is regarded as unnecessary.
But if you have set your sights on doing it and your extensions don’t go well with your hair color then still you can do it. Synthetic hair contains processed fibers which it difficult yet possible to dye.
Unlike human hair, synthetic hair doesn’t have any natural pigments which completely makes it inaccessible to hair dye. Moreover, hair dye turns synthetic hair frizzy and even damages it as an outcome of the ingredients such as ammonia or bleach.
So what you actually can apply? So few options are present there: acrylic ink, Rit dye, sharpie ink, or fabric dye.
Options to dye the synthetic hair:
There are a few ways with the help of which you can easily dye synthetic hair. Before you actually start the process of dying, you surely would like to give synthetic hair a wish to extract all the dirt, sweat, or styling products that have accumulated.
Take the help of mild shampoo for this purpose and let it dry before beginning the process.
For this, you will need to hear resistant synthetic hair
- One complete bottle of fabric dye
- Large pot and stove
- Water and newspaper covers
- Disposable gloves and old clothes/ apron
Instructions to follow:
- Wear old clothes and cover your clothes with an apron to refrain from destroying the clothes you still envy to have.
- Add some water to the large pot and bring it to a boil. Make sure your synthetic hair will fit best into the pot. With taking help of the thumb rule, add 3 tablespoons of fabric dye to every cup of water you add.
- When the water approached the boiling point, add dye and then lessen the water to simmer.
- Wetting the hair before you add it to the pot makes it easier to dye.
- Then put the synthetic hair in the pot and the more you leave it for hours, the darker the results will come out.
- After this, you need to extract the hair from the pot and rinse it under cold water until it comes clear.
- Place it or hang it somewhere for air drying. If you are dying synthetic hair, you can place it on a wig stand.
To get amazing Fabric dye for hair products click on the button.Buy on Amazon
For this, you will need acrylic ink
- Spray bottle and comb
- Water and disposable gloves
- Newspapers and covers
Instructions to follow:
- Put the acrylic ink into the spray bottle and add a little bit of rubbing alcohol. The more rubbing alcohol you use the lighter color you will experience.
- Then wear gloves to keep your hands clean and fresh. Cover your working space by taking the help of a newspaper to protect it.
- Apply the dry mixture to your synthetic hairs and use your hands to work through it. After this, you need to gently lift the sections to ensure your color the underside too.
- Apply the dye to comb it thoroughly and keep this fact in mind the color is covering all the strands.
- Place it or hang it until it comes to air dry.
- When it becomes dry, then wash it with cold water until the water runs clear.
- Leave it completely so it can dry properly.
To get amazing Acrylic ink for hair products click on the button.Buy on Amazon
For this you will need:
- Sharpie pens and a sharp knife
- Pliers and spray bottle
- Rubbing alcohol and disposable gloves
- Newspaper and covers
Instructions to follow:
- First of all, you need to cover your workplace.
- To pull the Sharpie pen apart, take the help of pliers and then use pliers to remove the small tip from the front of the Sharpie which should provide you with some excessive ink.
- Use the sharp knife and then carefully slice the open tube.
- Place the ink tube into the spray bottle and after this add some alcohol.
- Leave this for as long as possible and use your hands to work it through the different sections
- Leave it to dry again and wash it with cold water.
To get amazing Sharpie ink for hair products click on the button.Buy on Amazon
For methods 2 and 3, you need to raise the speed of the process a little by putting the dye mixture in a plastic bag. Then place the synthetic hair in the bag to soak.
Begin with a minimum of 5 minutes. Increase this depending on how intense you wish the color to come out. Extract it and leave it to dry completely before washing it with cold water.
If you wish to undertake this process, be aware that it will not
always turn out as planned. Results will be exciting and you can dye your synthetic hair with help of this thorough guide.